Saturday, June 20, 2009

Goldendoodles, labradoodles, cutsiepoos, and other things that make my head hurt.

I have so many things I'd like to say about pups-fer-bucks schemes, but I'll spare you the venom.
Goldendoodles are not a breed. Labradoodles are not a breed. They don't have 'varieties' because they don't breed true. They aren't healthier than the purebreds that are used to make them, in fact, the pups now carry the genetics from BOTH breeds, good and bad. Hybrid vigor is NOT at work here. They aren't hypoallergenic. You can't accurately predict their temperament, talents, coat, or appearance... it takes a lot more than the F1 cross to make a breed. They are cutsie sounding mix breeds, or what's commonly known as a MUTT~
You know, the kinda dog that can be had any day, any time at the shelter nearest you. For $120.00 or less.
The people that breed these MUTTS are doing it for the money, nothing else. There's no reason to breed them... if you like poodles, get one! Want a Golden? Find a breeder, ask about health clearances. A responsible breeder will have done health screening. They will have references. They won't be BREEDING MUTTS!
Please, don't get sucked in by pups-for-bucks scammers. I am shocked at the number of people that fall for their lies.
This rant brought to you by ******, who just called me to announce that she's put a deposit {$500.00!} on a goldenxpoodle mixed breed litter. But of course she called them goldendoodles.
And at $1,200.00 a pup, she's really proud of her find.
Yeppers, $1,200.00 for a pup... a pup whose parents met the thin and only criteria of having working reproductive bits.
I might have to change my phone number after she reads this. ;-) Or maybe, hopefully, this was a prank? Hard to believe that anyone who has known me for more than 10 freakin' seconds would actually call me to brag about their purchase of an uber-expensive MUTT.
MUTT MUTT MUTT!

3 comments:

Gifted Designs said...

God do I EVER hear you on this...I just can't believe people have gotten suckered in! I mean, a mutt is a mutt is a freaking mutt. There's nothing wrong with a mutt, but there isn't anything involved in getting one...oi!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Much as I love dogs, I've always had lab/mutts with a couple of exceptions. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would pay several hundred or even a thousand dollars for a mixed breed dog. It's just mind boggling.

Debbie said...

Yep, if one more person attempts to tell me that the poodlexretriever crosses are hypoallergenic and healthier than purebreds, I may scream.

I think they just fall for the b.s. about them, and the cutsie name. Ptui!!!